I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the restaurant La Petite Maison… as you may or may not have heard they are famous for their Lentil salad, an absolute must have if you ever get the chance to visit one of their restaurants in Nice, London or Dubai, and I really hope you do! It’s crunchy, its fresh, its refreshing, its delicious! Here is my version of their famous lentil salad, if I may say so myself, it is out of this world!
You will need
- 3 cloves of garlic, cut into quarters.
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 cups dry lentils or 1 can of prepared lentils
- 1 red apple
- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 cups water
- 1 Lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- If using dry lentils, to start, bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the lentils and a little salt, bring the heat down so the water is simmering and cover.
- When the lentils are tender, they are done - about 30-40 minutes. When ready take the saucepan off the heat and leave with the lid on for about 5-10 minutes in order for the lentils to absorb the water. If you are using pre-prepared lentils skip this step.
- While waiting for the lentils to cook, chop the red apple and fennel into small cubes.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top to keep the apple looking fresh.
- Heat a large saucepan with a half of the olive oil and add the garlic, saute for about 3 minutes until golden. Add the lentils and mix.
- When the lentils have cooled, add the apple and fennel, the remaining olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and mix.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.Serves 4 people.