We all know by now how much I just LOVE to eat but sometimes even I need a break. Now I’m not saying ” that’s it! I’m entering starvation mode and not eating for the next month”, but going for the healthy option once in a while isn’t all that bad. Last week was Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, and after 3 days of absolutely ENORMOUS lunches and dinners, it was my turn to have people over, my time to shine and shake things up a little.
Enter citrus: oranges, grapefruit, lemons of all kinds. Over those magical three days I was lucky enough to be able to try food from all the people I love, my mom, my sisters, my mother in law, my grandma and my friends, all who inspired me to get down and dirty, put my thinking cap on and come up with something new and exciting. “Of course! Citrus salad with truffle oil and nuts, who could say no to that?” And I was right, refreshing enough for a hot day, light enough for a starter (along with many other options, duh!), and just different enough to get people talking. Win win, right?
I urge all of you reading to go make this salad, especially if you’re extra health conscious and are watching your weight or weaning yourself of food a little in preparation for Yom Kippur, the jewish day of atonement. Since making this last week, I’ve already made it again twice, and yes, you’re right, just for me. I can’t wait to make it with Pomelo!
You will need
- 4 grapefruit, oranges, lemons, pomelos
- 2 handfuls arugula (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon truffle oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the peel and pith off of the citrus fruit and slice thinly into rounds
- Arrange on a serving plate, overlapping each piece
- Sprinkle with chilli flakes, salt and pepper
- Garnish with pistachios on each piece then fill the middle with arugula
- Pour the olive and truffle oils over the top