Occasionally I’ll go into my fridge to start on dinner and find tomatoes starting to soften and wrinkle, is there anything worse?! Were huge fans of tomatoes in this family so if there’s one thing you’ll always find in my kitchen, you can count on the trusty tomato, be it cherry, heirloom, beefsteak or plum, we just can’t get enough.
But when it comes the time for these babies to start their aging process, I always try to jump in to save the day and do something with them. Usually I’ll make a huge batch of tomato sauce and freeze it until I’m ready to use it but often I’ll turn my oven to low, throw in some tomatoes with some fragrant herbs and wait for the magic to happen.
You can go ahead and use them as snacks for that week or even add them to a meat, pasta dish, salad or just add as a beautiful garnish when you plate your meal.
If you are the type to not want to put in massive amounts of effort into your cooking then this is the recipe for you. Minimum effort, maximum results. Score!
You will need
- 1 box cherry tomatoes or your leftover selection of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful herbs of your choice, works well with thyme and rosemary
- pinch of salt and pepper
- preheat your oven to 200
- transfer the tomatoes to a mixing bowl
- add in the olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs
- place on a lined baking sheet and roast for about 2 hours, until caramelized