I need to start this post with a disclaimer – I am by no means a baker, in fact I feel that it might be my weakest point in cooking, which is why I am so excited about the outcome of this cake I baked yesterday.
It all started last Friday. I had a bunch of people over for dinner and my friend Rachel brought an incredible flourless chocolate cake…I’ve basically been dreaming about that cake since we very quickly polished it off so I thought it was about time that I took matters into my own hands and recreate it for my next round of guests, my in laws and dad.
And guess what… It was a huge hit! The consistency was moist, it tasted to chocolatey, and the salt topping just put the cherry on the cake. I promise you, this one you really want to try out!
You will need
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (normally I make non dairy/parve cakes so I go for the margarine)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- So this cake is pretty easy and very quick to make.
- Lets start by preheating the oven to 375 and prepping a 8 in cake pan. We want to rub the inside of the pan with a little oil.
- Next put the chocolate and butter or margarine in a medium size glass mixing bowl. Stick it in the microwave for about 2 minutes until both have melted, take it out after one minute, mix, then put it back in the microwave for the extra minute.
- Add in the remaining eggs, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract to the butter chocolate mixture and mix again.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle half of the sea salt on top, put it in the oven for 25 minutes.
- When theres just 5 minutes left, take the cake out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining half of the salt on top and put it back in the oven to finish cooking.
- Take it out after 25 minutes and leave to cool a little. Serve either immediately while warm or later when room temperature. Serves 12 people.