Whenever I have people over for lunch I try to think of easy yet delicious dishes to pull together – my worst nightmare is getting stuck in the kitchen while I have all these people over – it makes me feel so antisocial!
Visiting Rosemary’s, one of my favorite restaurants in New York City, always reminds me that good salads, vegetables and cheeses can really make a meal. In fact I was just having this exact conversation with my friend Jennifer yesterday ; it doesn’t matter if you can’t make a fancy, protein filled table, all you need is a few great products to save the day. Go try the chopped salad Siciliana or the roasted brussels sprouts at Rosemary’s and you’ll understand what I’m talking about.
You just need those few key items to add to your table, that’s it! One of my key items is a ricotta tartine which gives you license to do whatever you’d like with it , so get that thinking cap on and go crazy.
My favorite is a ricotta honey and mint tartine. It’s perfect for breakfast, or brunch and a great addition to a lunch or dinner, not to mention so unbelievably simple! You also get to choose whatever type of bread, ricotta and honey you want… my choice? A lemon verbena honey picked up by my parents at a farmer’s market in Boston. Thanks Mom and Dad!
You will need
- 1 loaf of bread, fresh baked or left over. I prefer spelt.
- 1 tub ricotta cheese
- Your choice of honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A few sprigs of mint
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Slice the bread into thin slices, place on a baking sheet and then in the oven for 10-12 minutes until toasted and golden. Wait to cool.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese on each slice of toast then a little honey on top - the amount is at your discretion.
- Pour a drop of olive oil on top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and mint sprigs for garnish then serve.