All you New Yorker’s out there will know that the freezing cold icy weather has started to move on and spring is on its way, well besides the freak storm that decided to show up last night.
Lately I’ve found that the food I’ve made has projected the season that I want it be and right now that is Spring but I’ll take Summer too. I’m constantly coming up with cravings for ice creams, fresh salads, summer rolls and one of the most recent is my crunchy cucumber salad.
I recently just got back from a vacation in Israel and when I opened my fridge when I got home , all I really had to eat was some cucumbers. Normally I’d be pretty uninspired by the lack of substance in my fridge and just 3 measly cucumbers to work with but due to my new-found love for refreshing springlike food I decided to get my hands dirty and whip up this salad.
You will need
- 1 English cucumber OR 6 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- freshly ground pepper
- Wash and dry the cucumbers well.
- Peel the cucumber lengthways with a potato peeler, the strips should be thin.
- Sprinkle with salt and leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes then squeeze them gently to get rid of the excess liquid and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl combine the white vinegar, oil and sugar. Mix into cucumbers and adjust the seasoning,if the vinegar is too strong just add more sugar.
- Transfer to your serving plate and top with freshly ground pepper.
- If you have the time, this salad tastes even better when refrigerated for an hour.