One of my favorite restaurants in New York is Cafe Gitane, a french brassiere type place in Nolita. When I moved here from London almost two years ago I was lucky enough to find myself living right opposite Cafe Gitane and it became my safe haven.
With so many amazing things on the menu there’s no wonder why there’s always a line out the door, but the item that really takes the crown is their avocado toast. If you’ve been to Gitane you’ll know how good this avocado toast is, if you haven’t then move your butt and get down there, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Here’s how it’s done.
You will need
- 1 avocado, roughly mashed
- 1 slice sourdough or multigrain bread (I prefer multigrain)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- This recipe is super easy... Take the bread, toast until it is golden, you can do this in a toaster or in the oven but I find the overall color better when using an oven. Squeeze 1/4 of 1 half of the lemon onto the bread.
- Next mix the mashed avocado, the remaining lemon and the salt and pepper and arrange it on top of the toast. To finish sprinkle the chilli flakes on top.